Thursday, February 24, 2011

Yarn shopping!

I've been sent out of town for work and while getting the car packed up a bag was forgotten...  of course it turned out to be the bag of all my knitting!  So, a quick trip to Michael's was in order as soon as I realized.  I picked up some of the basics (needles, stitch markers, scissors, cable needles & tape measure) along with some yarn to keep me busy.  I found some yarn for a special request as well as some that I just liked :-)  So, this past week I've been working on a recently ordered hat with a blues and grays yarn.  The request was to have a hat with a bill and ear flaps which I'd never done together before.  It has been a challenge but I am finally feeling like I'm on the right track and really happy with the way it's turning out now.

Today I had about two hours to kill between my real work so I found a nearby yarn shop.  "The Dropped Stitch" was a quaint, easy to find shop in a nice plaza.  The shop owner was on site knitting and available to help with anything.  As I browsed the shop I overheard her offering to buy a book for a customer, just for them to look over.  Way to go above and beyond!  The prices were so reasonable I bought more than I usually would in a LYS.  The selection wasn't overwhelming, but it was a small space.  After purchasing my items, the owner even offered to wind it into cakes.  What a bonus!


I couldn't seem to get a shot that would accurately show the awesome shade of purple the Cascade Yarns Pastaza (left) is.  It's 50/50 Llama and Wool and a has a heathered effect.  It's my absolute favorite!  The Plymouth Yarn Encore Mega (middle) is an Acrylic and Wool mix and super chunky.  It's some shade of off-white that I can't quite explain.  I feel like a purse is in it's future!  I've heard so many good things about Cascade Yarns and there were a couple options in this shop, but this green (right) caught my eye.  It's Cascade 220 Heathers, a 100% Peruvian Highland Wool.  I am not sure exactly what it will be, maybe a hat, maybe a neck warmer, maybe even a scarf.

No comments:

Post a Comment